, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 7 – President Uhuru Kenyatta has reiterated his government’s commitment to the fight against terrorism saying security agencies government will not relent in pursuing Al Shabaab operatives who laid an ambush on a Mombasa-bound bus in Wajir killing at least 10 people.
State House Spokesperson Kanze Dena, in a statement to newsrooms on Saturday, said Kenya’s resolve to fight terrorism remains unshaken.
“The Government will not relent in its ruthless crackdown on criminal elements including suspected terrorists in its solemn duty to safeguard the lives and property of Kenyans,” reads the statement.
President Kenyatta further cautioned those planning attacks would face consequences if caught by the relevant authorities.
“I am sending a strong warning and reminder to misguide elements operating within and outside of our national borders and whose actions harm innocent Kenyans that no effort will be spared in neutralizing the threat,” he added.
The attack occurred at Maadathe area some 5 kilometres from Kotulo in the northeastern part of the country, a police statement indicated.
Police headquarters did not however comment on the death toll which several police sources put at 10.
Police Spokesperson Charles Owino said in the statement released Friday evening security personnel had been deployed to the scene to pursue the attackers.