NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 5 –The Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) is now urging the Ministry of Education to immediately release capitation funds for the third term, to avert a crisis in institutions of learning.
KUPPET Secretary General Akelo Misori on Thursday said this is an important term bearing in mind that it’s the duration whereby students will be sitting for their national examinations, hence schools shouldn’t experience disruptions.
“As we speak not a single school has received funds for the third term, the government must immediately unlock the funds and disburse them to schools. The time for blame game is now over. our principals want to see the funds in their school accounts so they can run their institutions smoothly,” said Misori.
The education ministry has been engaging in a blame game with Treasury over the delay in releasing the funds.
Head teachers on Monday warned that there will be a crisis if the funds are not released.
This is not the first time the head teachers are complaining about delays in releasing funds.
Last term a good number of principals threatened to close their institutions for lack of funds to run activities.
Usually the government disburses 50 per cent of the capitation in first term, 30 per cent in second term and 20 per cent in third term.
Misori however blamed the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) for the delay of funds, saying some learners’ names have been rejected by the system making it difficult for them to get funds.
Misori also said it’s worrying that some schools have also not been able receive funds since the beginning of the year.
“The government is not only yet to release funds for the third term, but also arrears for the second term and all this owed to the NEMIS system. For the last category of schools the government blamed a major hitch on the system because it had rejected some learners’ birth certificates which is a mandatory data field in the system, we are also wondering how much time does the government need to fix flaws in the system,” he said.
Misori now wants the funds to be released based on the actual number of students that government officers have verified at the school level, and not merely on those successfully captured by NEMIS.
In January this year, the Ministry of Education released Sh30 billion, PS Education Belio Kipsang explaining that the disbursed funds will only cater for 2.6 million students whose details had been captured on NEMIS.
He said the ministry had not sent capitation to 3,000 students, noting schools had not uploaded their details on NEMIS, an online data capture and retrieval system.
“We shall not disburse any capitation to students whose details schools have not put on NEMIS,” Kipsang said then.
The disbursement of funds was transmitted through the NEMIS unlike in the past when the ministry relied on the information provided by school heads.