Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

top
Capital News

Top stories

UK’s Prince Harry wins damages over photos shot from helicopter

Harry’s wife Meghan gave birth to the couple’s first child earlier this month/AFP

LONDON, United Kingdom, May 16 – Britain’s Prince Harry has accepted “substantial” damages and an apology from a paparazzi agency that took photos of his home from a helicopter, Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday.

The Duke of Sussex sued Splash News over the January incident, arguing it had breached his privacy and data rights under British law and the European Convention on Human Rights.

The agency, which syndicates photos and videos for media outlets, chartered the helicopter on January 9 to fly over the prince’s private home near Oxford in the Cotswolds region, according to court testimony.

“The helicopter flew over the home at a low altitude allowing Splash to take photographs of and into the living area and dining area of the home and directly into the bedroom,” the prince’s solicitor told the High Court in London.

The Times newspaper, and a number of other online media outlets, published the images two days later, the lawyer from the firm Harbottle and Lewis said.

“The syndication and publication of the photographs very seriously undermined the safety and security of The Duke and the home to the extent that they are no longer able to live at the property,” the solicitor added.

Harry and his wife Meghan, who gave birth to the couple’s first child earlier this month, had reportedly signed a two-year rental lease on the property.

The firm told the court they had chosen the property because of “the high level of privacy it afforded given its position in a secluded area”.

Harbottle and Lewis said in its court statement that Splash had agreed to stop “selling, issuing, publishing or making available” the photos.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

It had also vowed not to “repeat its conduct by using any aerial means to take photographs or film footage of the Duke’s private home which would infringe privacy or data rights,” the firm said.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Duke of Sussex acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Kenya

Mwitiki became famous during the January 15-16 DusitD2 attack, after his picture and that of Starehe politician Steve Mbogo holding sophisticated firearms went viral.

Corona Virus

NAIROBI, Kenya Mar 11 – China has now come out to help nations affected by coronavirus, after managing the crisis at home. On Wednesday,...

Capital Health

Frankfurt am Main, Germany, Mar 29 – Thomas Schaefer, the finance minister of Germany’s Hesse state, has committed suicide apparently after becoming “deeply worried” over how...

Capital Health

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 13 – Kenya has confirmed the first case of coronavirus which the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global pandemic on...