, DIANI, Kenya, Oct 15 – Property of unknown value is reported to have been burnt down after a section of Bidi Badu, a popular restaurant in Diani in Kwale County was razed in a fire outbreak.
The fire is said to have been caused by an electric fault, according to witnesses and police.
Msambweni Police Chief Joseph Chebusit confirmed that the fire started at around 1:30pm but the hotel management and residents were able to salvage most of the property.
Kwale fire engines, hotel management, good Samaritans and revellers at the restaurant helped put off the fire.
“It’s just a section of the hotel that was razed. The good thing is that the outbreak occurred during the day when most people were around,” said Chebusit in a phone interview.
Chebusit said no casualties or fatalities were reported in the incident. Revellers were evacuated to safety after the fire broke out.
“We have also not established how much could have been lost in the inferno. Investigations are still ongoing, but the situation on ground is generally calm,” he said.
The restaurant’s roof is thatched with makuti, which is prone to fire.
Bidi Badu is situated along the Indian Ocean in Diani Beach, which is world known tourist destination.