IPOA probes killing by policemen at City Park

May 23, 2018 11:54 am
The authority has already dispatched its Rapid Response Unit to investigate the incident that is shrouded by mystery/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 23 – The Independent Policing Oversight Authority has launched investigations into the Sunday incident at City Park, where a woman was shot dead and a 26-year-old man left with serious gunshot wounds.

The authority has already dispatched its Rapid Response Unit to investigate the incident, shrouded in mystery.

The view of the probe is to establish the circumstances of the shooting and if anyone will be found culpable, the authority has vowed to ensure they are brought to book.

“Upon conclusion, the authority will make recommendations and forward the investigation file to the ODPP for his attention,” reads a statement sent by IPOA’s Head of Communication Dennis Oketch.

Five police officers who were involved in the incident have since recorded statements with detectives and freed on police bond.

Two of the officers who pulled the trigger are Administration Police officers from Makadara Division here in Nairobi who were on patrol duties at the Park on Sunday.

“There is nothing that can be done until the investigations are over,” an officer privy to the ongoing probe told Capital News on Tuesday.

– What we know so far –

At about 8am, a security guard manning City Park noticed a car that had been parked near a cemetery.

He raised an alarm some two hours later prompting the officers, who swung to action.

The car, a Toyota Fielder, had tinted windows such that one could not see the occupants from outside, police and guards said.

“They knocked on the vehicle but there was no response. Then all of a sudden, it sped off towards the road,” reads a police report seen by Capital FM News.

At that point, the two officers started firing at the vehicle using their firearms, discharging several rounds of ammunition.

On Tuesday, Government Pathologist Johansen Odour was set to undertake a post-mortem on the body of the deceased Janet Wangui, at the City Mortuary.

The scene of the incident at City Park has since been cleared.

“It was a scaring incident. The park is usually peaceful,” a security guard manning the section of the park told Capital FM News on Tuesday.

According to police, the two officers involved in the incident had been deployed to the area in an ongoing operation across the city, meant to last for 30 days.

Some police divisions, authorities say, have surrendered some of their officers to other areas.

“Police are on high alert during Ramadhan,” Nairobi County Police Chief Joseph ole Tito said.

Earlier, police had cautioned Kenyans of an imminent terror attack during Ramadhan.



Latest Articles

News Podcasts

Most Viewed