, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 16 – Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko says operations at the Nairobi County Government will continue despite the resignation of his deputy, Polycarp Igathe.
Speaking in Mombasa, Sonko downplayed Igathe’s resignation stating that there are many qualified personnel within City Hall.
He however stated that he is going to consult Nairobi residents and the Jubilee Party leadership in the ongoing reconciliation efforts.
“I was an MP and a Senator in Nairobi together with God there is no shortfall of qualified personnel. We will serve the residents of Nairobi and deliver our mandate,” he said. “We will also consult them and join together with other Jubilee leaders to look at the way forward.”
Igathe quit his post last week claiming that he has failed to earn Governor Sonko’s trust.
“We will work and Nairobi is a unique county. It is not like Kisumu or Mombasa counties. During the day, it has five million people while at night it has four million people. It is not a county where you will finish its problems in one 100 or two 200 days unless you are a joker. We will consult with all the leaders on how we can make Nairobi a good county,” he stated.
The move came at a time when Nairobi is chocking with the hawkers menace, garbage, potholes and water shortage.
During poll campaigns, the Jubilee leadership had promised to return the city “to its lost glory.”