, NAKURU, Kenya, Jan 29 – The National Land Commission has issued orders barring further development on disputed pieces of land at two settlement farms in Nakuru County.
Vice Chairperson of the Commission, Abigael Mbagaya, warned that further interference on the more the disputed 50 acres of land would lead to arrest and prosecution of the parties involved.
The affected land in the two farms includes that set aside for public utility.
Speaking at Kisyenan where tensions were high following the destruction of business stalls along the Nakuru-Baringo road earlier in the week, Mbagaya who was accompanied by Commissioners Samuel Tororei and Clement Lenachuru was shocked to learn that public utility land including schools, roads and a cattle dip in Rongai had been grabbed.
She stated that there would be no negotiations with people who steal land meant for schools and roads.
“If you know you have grabbed public utility land, prepare to surrender it back to the government or the State will forcefully evict you,” she warned.
Commissioner Tororei noted that the high poverty in the area was because residents did not have amenities including water since the land where pipelines pass and the cattle dips had been grabbed.
Rongai is among the areas prone to East Coast fever and cattle deeps are a vital utility.
Residents said their animals died due to the disease and lack of water.
The community spokesperson, Victor Ngatia told Mbagaya that children as young are four years walk five kilometres to the nearest nursery school.
He noted that school dropout rate was also high due to the long distances covered by students.