, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 4- Safaricom will continue to take part in the upcoming presidential election, dismissing claims that it was involved in any irregularities during the August 8 election.
Chief Executive Bob Collymore says the false accusations by the Opposition are unwarranted and the firm will continue to play its role in the coming election.
He said Safaricom is prepared to face any investigations and prosecutions filed against it.
“Safaricom remains committed to the IEBC in line with the contract we have with them to relay the results from the KIEMs device to the IEBC server,” he said.
The National Super Alliance accuses six Safaricom employees of tampering with the August 8 presidential election that annulled by the Supreme Court on September 1.
Opposition leader Raila Odinga alleged they had the names of six individuals at Safaricom who had intimate knowledge of this conspiracy and either actively participated or concealed the conspiracy.
“I feel pretty angry about it because my team did their job and then they got false accusations, dragging their names in the media, you actually put their lives in danger,” Collymore complained.
Last week the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) said there were no transmission failures by any of the mobile operators contracted to transmit results for last month’s election contrary to claims by Odinga.
In a statement which was a veiled response to Odinga’s claims of alleged manipulation of election results by Safaricom, CA Director General Francis Wangusi cautioned against what he termed as “blanket lynching” of investors in the strategic sector and instead urged those aggrieved to canvass their agenda responsibly to avoid jeopardising gains made in the local ICT sector.
“We implore politicians to report any alleged election malpractices on the part of industry players to the relevant law enforcement agencies,” Wangusi said.