Moi Girls fire was no accident, a case of arson: Matiangi

September 4, 2017 3:16 pm
Shares
Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi when he addressed the press on Monday/HILARY MWENDA

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 4 – A probe into the fire that broke out at the Moi Girls School in Nairobi over the weekend killing nine students has revealed that it was as a result of arson.

Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi stated that credible leads are being followed to ensure those committed the crime are brought to book.

“What happened at the Moi Nairobi Girls on Saturday is very unfortunate. Most of the investigations are done and I can tell you unequivocally that it was not an accident. All investigations have ruled out that it was not an accident. It was arson,” he said.

He stated that the government will support the parents of those who were affected and ensure measures are put in place that similar incidences do not recur.

“We are going to do whatever it takes to support the school to resume its regular programs in good time but we feel saddened that we have lost our children in that kind of incident which essentially is as a result of a crime, Our love goes to the families that have been affected and we will stand with them,” he pointed out.

He further said that the Education Ministry will be seeking to implement a proper legal framework to help Principals deal with disciplinary issues.

The school which has an estimated 1,183 students, has been closed for two weeks to facilitate investigations in to the incident, where more than 50 others were injured with two having 50 percent burns.

 

At the school dormitory, police officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations continued to comb the area in a bid to establish the cause of the fire that broke out at 2am early Saturday morning.

The dormitory remained cordoned off and could not even be accessed by the parents.

Only police officers, led by Nairobi County Director of Criminal Investigations, Nicholas Kamwende and Kilimani DCIO Phyllis Kanina were allowed into the premises.

Kamwende confirmed that some students had been interrogated, but could not give more information.

The school’s parents association chairman, Charles Odhiambo, on Sunday said three students were still at the ICU.

He said among those who were injured is the school guard who was involved in rescue activities.

Odhiambo said the students in the affected dormitory lost all their belongings in the fire and school management will advise on the kind of help needed for the girls.

GET TOP NEWS FOR THE DAY DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX

Shares

Latest Articles

News Podcasts

Most Viewed