Nyong’o redirects inauguration catering budget to victims of poll unrest

August 19, 2017 3:07 pm
Shares
Samantha’s father, Joseph Abanja, is consoled by Kisumu Governor-elect Anyang’ Nyong’o/CFM NEWS

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 19 – Kisumu Governor-elect Anyang’ Nyong’o has directed that the larger chunk of the money set aside for his swearing in be used to cover medical bills for the protesters hurt in Kisumu.

Addressing the press in Kisumu, Nyong’o said the ceremony that is set for Monday had been budgeted to cost the county government Sh12 million but Nyong’o says Sh1 million is enough to conduct the ceremony.

He says he had to object to plans to feed those who will be coming to his ceremony to save money.

“In that Sh12 million, Sh7 million was going towards the actual ceremony, that included meals at five-star hotels for VIP guests as well as meals for the others at Tom Mboya Labor College,” he said.

Funds will be used to compensate traders that were targeted by criminals during the protests.

Nyong’o says there are a lot of challenges brought about by the protesters in the lakeside city.

“The money that has been saved will also be used for victims of police brutality and the victims of the violence that accompanied it. Here in Mbandani people lost property, so in solidarity with our people who are in pain, we will use that money for their need,” he added.

Nyong’o is among governors who are set to be sworn in on Monday.

Others include Governors’ elect Patrick Gakuru of Nyeri and Mohammed Abdi of Wajir counties.

Nairobi’s Mike Sonko and Granton Samboja of Taita Taveta will be sworn in on Monday followed by Hassan Joho of Mombasa and Kitui’s Charity Ngilu on Tuesday.

Sonko and his deputy Polycarp Igathe swearing in will be at Uhuru Park, Nairobi starting at 9am.

Alfred Mutua of Machakos and Mandera’s Ali Roba were the first to take oath on Thursday.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed