Deya denies child theft charges, to know bail fate Aug 10

August 4, 2017 3:57 pm
Shares
Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi directed Deya to be remanded in custody until then after the prosecution opposed his release on bond claiming he is likely to jump bail/CFM NEWS

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 4 – Televangelist Gilbert Juma Deya will spend six nights at the Kamiti Maximum Prison pending determination of his bail request by a Nairobi Magistrate’s Court on August 10.

Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi directed Deya to be remanded in custody until then after the prosecution opposed his release on bond claiming he is likely to jump bail.

The UK-based preacher on Friday denied five counts of stealing children all under the age of 14 years between 1999 and 2004.

According to the prosecution, the man of the cloth harboured three girls and two boys.

So far the prosecution has listed five people as prosecution witnesses.

The clergyman through lawyers Cliff Ombetta and John Swaka implored the court to release him on bond insisting that he is not a flight risk because his passport is in the hands of British authorities.

Magistrate Andayi was told that Deya has no capacity to abscond trial or interfere with investigations in any way since they were carried out 10 years ago before the extradition proceedings began.

The court was told that Deya a spiritual father to pastors David Musila, Apostle James Maina Nga’ng’a and Pius Muiru and many others is “incapable of jumping bail”.

Ombetta pleaded with court to grant his client bail to enable him attend to his 36,000 church members in London adding that he intends to defend himself against the accusations levelled against him.

But the prosecution opposed his release on bail purporting there are compelling reasons given that he fled from the country after he realised that authorities were looking for him.

“We have filed an affidavit to that effect,” Prosecutor Nicholas Mutuku submitted.

If found guilty, Deya could face a jail term of seven years minimum or a maximum of 35 years.

Having challenged the extradition proceedings for 12 years, the prosecution submitted that “the accused person cannot be trusted and does not deserve the privileges of attending trial while out on bail because he has not been willing to subject himself to the process”.

The prosecution went on to say that he is still being investigated in two other cases in relation to forgery.

The case is due for hearing on October 9 and 16.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed