, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 5 – Security chiefs met Wednesday to review security arrangements put in place ahead of the General Election.
Speaking after chairing the meeting, Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet assured that adequate arrangements had been put in place to ensure the August 8 elections are conducted in a peaceful environment and that citizens have an opportunity to freely participate in the polls.
“In our view, and we have very strong reasons to believe, our officers have done very well since party primaries. We also reviewed plans put in place to cover the remaining electioneering period up to August 8 and the period thereafter,” Boinnet told the press at the National Police Service Headquarters in Nairobi.
“We received presentations from a multi-agency directorate put in place and I can assure you that I am satisfied with the arrangements put in place,” he observed.
Boinnet said the police service was working in partnership with other State and non-State agencies to ensure that the elections are peaceful, free and fair.
According to the police chief, the inter-agency cooperation with key players such as the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) will be enhanced further moving forward to ensure all plans are in conformity with arrangements set up by the Commission.
“We’re keen to build partnerships with the rest of the Kenyan populace and that is why we’ve had a lot of engagements with actors including IEBC, the Judiciary, the directorate of public prosecutions as well as civil society groups geared towards ensuring that elections are held in a safe and secure environment,” Boinnet assured.
During the presser, the police boss dismissed reports indicating that at least two police officers had been killed in Lamu County, following an attack on Pandaguo Police Post by Al Shabaab militants on Wednesday morning.
Boinnet assured that police in the area were engaged in a fight with the militants who reports indicate destroyed a mast in the area to impede communication before embarking on the early morning raid.
“In our standard procedures, we do not interfere with officers who are actively engaged in repulsing attackers. As we speak our officers are still engaged there still engaging the enemy as we speak right now,” he said.
The IG also refuted claims that some 80 security officers with ulterior motives were dispatched to trail National Super Alliance presidential candidate Raila Odinga.
He described the allegations made by Senator James Orengo on Tuesday as absurd, challenging him to make a formal complaint of any concerns on Odinga’s security to the police so that they can be addressed.
Odinga still enjoys protection from the State, according to Boinnet and every effort was being made to ensure all presidential candidates are safe.
He also dismissed claims by a section of leaders from the North Eastern region of the country linking the police to the deaths of five people discovered in a mass grave on Tuesday.
According to Boinnet, investigations were underway to ensure those behind the killings are apprehended.
The meeting was attended by among others, Deputy Inspector Generals Samuel Arachi (Administration) and Joel Kitili (Regular Police), the head of the National Intelligence Service, Ndegwa Muhoro and the Director General of the National Youth Service Richard Ndubai.