NTSA blames reckless driving for Sosyambu accident that claimed 19

May 13, 2017 1:45 pm
Shares
A preliminary investigation also indicates that the bus was using a wrong route according to National Transport Safety Authority Director General Francis Meja/CFM NEWS

, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 13 – The Saturday early morning accident at Soysambu area on the Nakuru-Nairobi Highway that claimed 19 lives was caused by reckless driving.

A preliminary investigation also indicates that the bus was using a wrong route according to National Transport Safety Authority Director General Francis Meja.

“The bus was overtaking a trailer without sufficient clearing distance which resulted in the driver going back into the lane to avoid a head on collision with an oncoming trailer,” Meja told journalists on Saturday.

“The miscalculation resulted in the oncoming trailer colliding with the right side of the bus ripping it off.”

He says 22 people are currently admitted to the hospital while 10 others have been treated and discharged.

Meanwhile, Meja says the driver of the ill-fated bus is as at large but he’s being pursued as investigations continue.

Despite the increased cases of road accidents, NTSA statistics shows that there has been by 6.7 percent drop in fatalities compared the same period last year.

Meanwhile, President Uhuru Kenyatta in his message of condolences to the affected families, relatives has instructed the relevant authorities to quickly establish the root cause of the accident and to implement more measures that will ensure roads are safer at all times.

“I’m deeply saddened to learn of the deaths of more than 19 people in a bus accident at Soysambu area on the Nakuru-Nairobi highway. My condolences to the families, relatives and friends of those who have lost dear and loved ones,” President Kenyatta said.

The President assured that hospitals in the region are treating those that are injured and medical teams are on standby to evacuate any cases that may need specialised care that is not available in the area.

He said emergency and support services have also been dispatched to the accident area to help alleviate the situation.

The President arrived in Beijing, China, this morning where he will join other 28 Heads of State and Government to attend the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation and the round table summit.

So far, 1,097 people have lost of lives road accidents compared to 1,176 last year.

Pedestrians in both years lead at 416 so far while 461 had been killed last year.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed