, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 29- President Uhuru Kenyatta and his running mate William Ruto are formally on the ballot for the August General Election after Monday’s clearance by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).
They were cleared by IEBC’s Chairman Wafula Chebukati who also presented them with nomination certificates at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC), effectively setting them off to start their re-election bid.
“I, Wafula Wanyonyi Chebukati, Chairman of Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission and also the National returning officer of presidential elections in Kenya, I have reviewed your documents and I hereby certify that Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta is the Presidential candidate and William Samoei Ruto is the running mate in the forthcoming General Election on the 8th of August this year.,” he said, before during the brief ceremony.
In total, eight presidential candidates have been cleared to participate in the August Election, namely Cyrus Jirongo of the United Democratic Party, Joseph Nyagah (Independent), Michael Wainaina (Independent) and Japheth Kavinga (Independent), Raila Odinga (Orange Democratic Movement), Ekuru Aukot (Thirdway Alliance) and Abduba Dida of the Alliance for Real Change.
The commission however, disqualified Justus Juma of the Justice and Freedom Party, and Independent candidates Erastus Nyamera, Truphena Ochwami and Nazlin Umar.
Chebukati urged all the candidates to conduct peaceful campaigns and also asked them to provide the Commission with their campaign schedule.
He urged the President and his team, “to follow the code of conduct that which has also been signed by your party.”
President Kenyatta and Ruto were accompanied by various Jubilee Party aspirants and party supporters who were part of their convoy from the Eastland’s part of Nairobi where they addressed a series of rallies on their way to KICC.
“Jubilee party stands for peace, unity, and progress for all Kenyans. We are determined to ensure that we conduct our election peacefully and that we ensure that during this period we uphold the dignity of the Kenyan nation as well as the unity in the diversity of our people,” the President said, adding that ““We shall go out there with the full knowledge that it is the people of Kenya who have the right to elect their leaders and we shall respect their wishes and we shall appeal to the people of Kenya to give us another opportunity to finish the good work we have started.”
The President addressed rallies at Donholm, Buruburu, Bahati, City Stadium and Muthurwa in Nairobi’s Eastlands which is home to the majority of the city’s residents.
At the rallies, President Kenyatta said he was humbly asking Kenyans to vote for him for a second term so that the Jubilee Administration can continue with the development programs it has been implementing to transform the country.
“We are not people who rely on propaganda and we do not incite Kenyans against each other. All we want is for Kenyans to be together and enjoy the prosperity of our nation,” said the President when he spoke in Donholm.
He said the Jubilee Administration has delivered on its promise to expand the country’s road networks.
He said the expansion of the road network in Eastlands will be completed soon even though it had been delayed by consideration concerning displacement of traders along the road corridor.
President Kenyatta urged Kenyans to remain peaceful during the electioneering period, adding that the Jubilee Administration stands for unity and peace.
He said Kenyans should be allowed to choose the leaders they want without being forced, calling on politicians to be civil as they seek for votes.
“We said Kenya will not progress through tribalism or incitement and our pledge has always been to unite Kenyans,” said the President.
President Kenyatta said the Jubilee Administration has delivered on its promise to expand the road coverage, make examinations free of charge, make maternity free of charge and expand connections to electricity.
“Beginning next year, we are promising that no parent will be asked to pay secondary school fees and we have already factored Sh5 billion in the new budget for that purpose,” said the President.
President Kenyatta thanked Jubilee supporters in Nairobi for choosing to be represented by a cosmopolitan team to lead the city County Government.
“Our aim has been to unite Kenyans and we want to thank Jubilee supporters in Nairobi who have chosen a cosmopolitan team to look after the interests of the city,” said the President.
Deputy President William Ruto urged the residents of the city to vote for Mike Sonko as the governor of Nairobi because he understands Nairobi’s problems more than the current governor “who reads about the problems of the city in the newspapers only and has no idea what city residents go through.”
“We urge you to vote for this young Jubilee team so that we can change Nairobi,” said the DP.
Sonko on his part said the current county government has done little since it was voted in and it has ignored the plight of those struggling to make an honest living.
“The Jua Kali sector has been ignored. There is money for constructing decent sheds for Jua Kali workers but because of corruption in the county government, those sheds are sold to them at Sh500, 000,” said Sonko.
He said in his first hundred days, he would provide the sheds free of charge and also reduce the many licenses that are used to fleece money from them.
The Jubilee aspirant for Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja said the composition of the Nairobi Jubilee team proves that the Jubilee Party is not based on tribe.