, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 9 – The Council of Governors has maintained its hard stance stating that doctors squandered their chance during mediation to end the strike which paralysed operations in public hospitals for over three months.
Speaking during the final day of the 4th Annual Devolution Conference, CoG Chairman Peter Munya maintained that the government will not engage in any more discussions with the striking doctors.
He indicated that three months of negotiations was enough and there would be no extension.
“They squandered the opportunities that were there for three months and I do not think they are even well intentioned. That request for more time is not in good faith,” he stated.
“They had been approaching this whole exercise with certain cards under the table. That is why they have refused all negotiations and all negotiators. So we do not take them seriously when they say they require only a day more,” he said.
Counties have begun firing the defiant doctors after an ultimatum issued by the National and County Governments expired.
In Machakos, Governor Alfred Mutua gave doctors until Thursday to resume duty or be fired.
He said the demands advanced by the striking medics were unrealistic adding that the strike had been politicized.
Mutua said that doctors had held Kenyans hostage with many people losing their lives due to collapse of services in public health institutions.
He spoke at Kangundo High School sports ground after meeting opinion leaders and aspirants drawn from across the county.
The Nairobi County Government has on the other hand already issued over 100 show cause letters to the medics and Health County Executive Committee Member Bernard Muiya says they will be fired by Monday if they do not report to work.
The Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) on Wednesday made the government’s sack threat real after it dismissed 12 doctors and put 48 others under disciplinary action following their participation in the ongoing strike.
KNH Chief Executive Lily Koros said the hospital last December warned its doctors against taking part in the strike which she described as illegal.
She explained that the hospital sent out circulars informing doctors that the strike was unlawful.
During a press briefing at KNH she further directed all doctors employed by the country’s main referral hospital “to report back to work with immediate effect or face disciplinary action which may include summary dismissal, eviction from hospital quarters or any other administrative action deemed necessary.”