NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 31 – Wiper Leader Kalonzo Musyoka has urged his counterparts in the Opposition to accommodate each other’s opinions, following uproar over a recent ultimatum by Leader of Minority Francis Nyenze on his candidature.
Nyenze had threatened that Wiper will go it alone if Musyoka is not given the National Super Alliance (NASA) ticket.
Musyoka now says he was expressing “a strong opinion about his leader.”
“If Hon Nyenze expresses a strong opinion, about his leader… give it to him” he stated.
He says other leaders and more so from the Orange Democratic Movement have made such remarks and no one condemned them.
“There are those who have come fully in support of Francis Nyenze and I have actually said he has nothing to retract because they can quote what some of our friends did… Joho (Mombasa Governor) actually said they will never take other recommendations expect that of our brother Raila being the flag bearer,” Musyoka told Journalists on Friday.
“Listen to what Junet has been saying, on live television and nobody has gone for their jugular. We must have the ability to respect other people’s opinions however much we may disagree with them.”
Nyenze had insisted that a 2013 Memorandum of Understanding between Wiper and ODM has to be honoured, which was to see ODM support a Musyoka ticket.
According to Nyenze, it is Odinga’s turn to support Musyoka as per the MoU, but says their counterparts in ODM have been dismissing it after they joined NASA.
“We don’t have to keep meeting and even if we meet a hundred times, we will not agree until the MoU is honoured. If they say it is dead, then we also suspect the change of name from CORD which we all loved was to stop the Kamba clamour and asking for the flag bearer position. Because of that demand, whenever we are set to meet, the meeting is postponed,” he revealed.
“That will be the end of NASA and that is why I am saying it should change to something like Nyanza Super Alliance because we will pull out.”
He spoke of frustrations in the technical committee set to pick a candidate in what they say is, “fear of the question of the MoU.”
The former Vice President however affirmed that he was still in NASA and ready to take the mantle for a faceoff with President Uhuru Kenyatta, during the August polls.
He said among his competitors in both the Jubilee and the Opposition side, he was the only person who has never been implicated in any scandal while dismissing claims that he had been ‘bought’ using Sh7 billion.
“I am ready to be the President of this country. Take it to the bank,” he said.
He called for patience saying a candidate will be picked soon.