Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?



28yr-old in court over Sh4bn KRA fraud

Alex Mutungi Mutuku at the Milimani law court on Tuesday,March 21 when he was charged that on diverse dates between March 01,2015 and March 01,2017 at unknown place within the country jointly with others not before court fraudulently caused the loss of Shs 3 985 663 858 the property of Kenya Revenue Authority by interfering with the function of the siad institution`s computer systems/CFM NEWS

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 21 – A 28 year-old man suspected to be engaged in cyber crime leading to the loss of Sh4 billion from the Kenya Revenue Authority has been charged in a Nairobi court.

Alex Mutungi Mutuku however denied the charge of electronic fraud before Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi.

He is accused of committing the offence between March 2015 and March this year.

Mutuku denied fraudulently causing the loss of Sh3,985,663,858 from the taxman after allegedly interfering with the institution’s computer systems.

The court heard that he was arrested after a multiagency security operation was conducted within Nairobi, with police receiving information that financial institutions among others were losing cash through suspicious electronic transactions.

Magistrate Andayi also heard that several electronic gadgets including mobile phones, computers, hard drives, digital video recorders and servers were seized and forwarded to the Cyber Forensic Laboratory for analysis.

The prosecution further told court that a print out of data from seized items would fill two large rooms of 30- 40 feet.

Analysed data so far indicates that the suspect has been working with others, promoting the prosecution to ask he be detained for 40 days.

In addition, Magistrate Andayi was told that Mutuku is likely to interfere with the ongoing forensic analysis.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

But the accused through his advocate protested against further detention arguing that police are yet adduce evidence of what has since been gathered in the 14 days he has been in custody.

The court will rule on his bail application next Tuesday.


More on Capital News