Opinion poll shows confidence in IEBC on the rise

February 9, 2017 3:31 pm
Shares
The survey commissioned by IPSOS featuring the changes that saw former IEBC commissioners replaced further asked the 2,057 respondents if voters will have confidence in the Commission to conduct the August General Election/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 9 – More than half of Kenyans (65 percent) have confidence in the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) according to a new poll released by IPSOS.

The research shows the level of confidence in the commission is on an upward trend since November 2015, when only 18 percent of Kenyans had confidence in the IEBC.

The survey conducted between January 9 and 26 showed that of the 65 percent who have confidence in the commission, 31 percent of them have a lot of confidence while 34 percent have some confidence.

Eleven percent on the other hand had a little confidence and 19 percent did not have any confidence in the IEBC at all.

Whereas most of those who had more confidence in the IEBC were Jubilee (53 percent had a lot of confidence and 33 percent had some confidence), only 41 percent (9 percent had a lot confidence and 32 percent had some confidence) of NASA supporters had confidence in the commission.

A trend analysis covering February 2013 to June 2016 showed that the level of confidence in the Commission among Kenyans has been increasing over time.

In August 2015, only 16 percent of Kenyans had confidence in the Commission, a trend that slightly improved in November and December 2015 at 18 percent and improved in June 2016 with 21 percent of Kenyans expressing their confidence with the IEBC.

Between June 2016 and January 2017, the number of Kenyans who had confidence in the IEBC shot up from 21 percent to 31 percent of Kenyans having a lot of confidence and 34 percent having some confidence bringing the total of Kenyans who have confidence in the IEBC in January 2017 to 65 percent.

The survey commissioned by IPSOS featuring the changes that saw former IEBC commissioners replaced further asked the 2,057 respondents if voters will have confidence in the Commission to conduct the August General Election.

Half of them (50 percent) believed registered voters will have enough confidence in the IEBC to manage the election.

Thirty one percent said voters will have no confidence in the commission to manage the elections while 13 percent ‘somewhat’ believed voters will have confidence and 13 percent were not sure if they will.

Majority of those who believed voters will have confidence with the electoral body to manage the August Election were Jubilee supporters at 72 percent while only 26 percent of NASA supporters said voters will have confidence in the commission to manage the elections.

More than half of NASA supporters (53 percent) said voters will have no confidence.

In regards to the controversial amendments to the election law among them the amendment that allows IEBC to have a manual backup system, 37 percent believed the law was likely to help IEBC to deliver correct results while 29 percent ‘somewhat’ believed it would help and 28 percent said it was unlikely to help deliver the correct results.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed