I will not step aside, defiant Kingi says over lost county millions

November 27, 2016 3:31 pm
Shares
Kingi addressing the press at the Tamarind Hotel on Sunday/CFM
Kingi addressing the press at the Tamarind Hotel on Sunday/CFM

, MOMBASA, Kenya, Nov 27 — Kilifi governor Amason Kingi says he will not step aside over the theft of Sh51 million shillings from the county coffers.

Kingi who addressed journalists on Sunday described himself as a whistle-blower and not a suspect despite being summoned by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) to record a statement over the theft.

“It’s not the other way as many people want Kenyans to believe. I am the one who walked into EACC and told them there’s this matter kindly move in to investigate and the procedure is the complainant is the first person to make a statement and that’s why I’ll be moving to EACC tomorrow morning.

“If fighting corruption is a crime which attracts the penalty of stepping aside then I will but if fighting corruption is a virtue, then I’m not stepping aside.”

His party leader Raila Odinga who is famously known for demanding that those linked to corruption in the national government step aside, has ironically not demanded the same of Kingi and hailed him as an example on how administrators should handle cases of corruption.

READ: Raila joins governors in blaming IFMIS for loss of monies in counties

As a case in point, he was not as accomodating to former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru whom he insisted vacate office despite the similarities in narrative; Waiguru like Kingi, described herself as a whistle-blower when it emerged that at least Sh791 million had been siphoned from the National Youth Service under her nose.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed