We’ll crush Opposition protests once we win 2017 poll – DP Ruto

November 20, 2016 7:38 pm
Shares
He said the government was aware of the CORD machinations to engage in violent activities so as to make the country ungovernable after the elections and will take appropriate action to stop such an eventuality/DPPS
He said the government was aware of the CORD machinations to engage in violent activities so as to make the country ungovernable after the elections and will take appropriate action to stop such an eventuality/DPPS

, MOMBASA, Kenya, Nov 20 – Deputy President William Ruto has warned the Opposition against engaging in violence when they lose the 2017 General Election.

Speaking at Tononoka grounds in Mombasa at the end of his four day tour of the Coast region Sunday, Ruto told the Coalition of Reforms and Democracy (CORD) that Kenyans would not let them unleash violence in the country once they lose the August 2017 election.

Overview
  • He said the government was aware of the CORD machinations to engage in violent activities so as to make the country ungovernable after the elections and will take appropriate action to stop such an eventuality.
  • “We are telling CORD to stop their jokes, Kenyans do not want to experience post election violence again and will not give them the leeway to wreck havoc in the event they lose.”

He said the government was aware of the CORD machinations to engage in violent activities so as to make the country ungovernable after the elections and will take appropriate action to stop such an eventuality.

“We are telling CORD to stop their jokes, Kenyans do not want to experience post election violence again and will not give them the leeway to wreck havoc in the event they lose.”

Ruto who was accompanied by more than 20 Members of Parliament, Senators and Governors also cautioned the Opposition against introducing what he called petty politics in the running of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).

He made it clear that the IEBC is not a CORD affiliate, but an independent constitutional commission that should be left to run its affairs according to the law.

“IEBC is a constitutional body charged with the responsibility of conducting elections in this country for all Kenyans. The Opposition should give it time to organise next year’s election without undue interference. Politicians should not bring their confusion in the management of the IEBC.”

The Deputy President pointed out that the ultimate decision on who will take the leadership of the country after the elections lies with the voters and not the IEBC, which he added, does not have a vote.

“It is the Kenyan voters who will decide on the next leaders and not the IEBC,” he added.

The Deputy President at the same time said he was not available for competition with some politicians from Mombasa whom he said were spoiling for a political contest with him.

“Some are bragging about having envelopes (of cash); even if you have envelopes it is yours, all I want to say is that am not available for a contest with anyone in Mombasa or elsewhere.”

He dismissed claims by CORD that the Jubilee Government was engaged in misappropriating public funds saying all the monies used by the government can be accounted for as demonstrated by the many development projects dotting the country.

“In the last four years that we have been in government we have done better that what all the Governments of Kenya did predating the colonial days. We have built roads, the Standard Gauge Railway; we have equipped our hospitals with modern medical equipment and reduced maternal/child deaths drastically among other issues.

He said it was unfortunate that people in the Coast region had been misled that the Jubilee leadership will not resolve their land matters and specifically the squatter problem.

“We have issued 1.2 million title deeds in the Coast region and resettled squatters on the controversial Waitiki farm and now they have title deeds of their land,” he added.

He went on to say that the government had pumped some Sh5 billion in the construction of the Airport-Port Reitz-Changamwe road whose work is ongoing.

He said: “We have put another Sh12 billion in the road to terminal II at the airport and work construction work on Dongo Kundu bypass to link the mainland to the south coast begins next year.”

Leaders who spoke at the meeting including Kwale Governor Salim Mvurya, his Murang’a counterpart Mwangi wa Iria, Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko, Nominated Senator Emma Mbura and a host of Members of Parliament cautioned the electorate against being misled again to join Opposition politics which has nothing useful to offer.

Governor Mvurya said the myth that the coast region was an Opposition zone was recently debunked with his defection to Jubilee Party and now Jubilee will win a majority of seats in the area.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed