, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 2- A group of activists under the banner of the National Civil Society Congress Wednesday took to the streets where they called for the resignation of Health Principal Secretary Nicholas Muraguri, over the alleged Sh5 billion scandal.
Armed with three heads of pigs and several rats in a cage, the activists marched from Milimani Law Courts to the Ministry of Health offices, where called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to sack all senior officials linked to the unraveling scandal.
The Congress Chairperson Morris Odhiambo says many Kenyans have continued to be denied their constitutional rights including good health due to the corruption menace.
“The corrupt are killing Kenyans daily in hospitals and on the roads, crooks working at the border points are letting terrorist to terrorize Kenyans,” he said.
Odhiambo questioned the price of some of the items said to have been procured with the money, specifically the allegations that the 100 containers made mobile clinics were purchased at a whooping Sh10 million each.
They also want to know why they have not to be operationalised despite being purchased months after the set deadline expired.
“Why would a container cost Sh10 million?” he posed. “Who asked for these clinics and how are they going to be serviced? Would it not be cheaper to build the damn clinics?”
On Muraguri, on the mere fact that he allegedly threatened a journalist who sought information over the alleged scandal, they said he should be out of the office.
Anti-riot police officers who were deployed at the Ministry of Health offices only watched from a distance ahead of Thursday’s major demonstration several other organizations led by the Kenya National Human Rights Commission.
The Government has since said that the audit figures on the alleged misappropriation are grossly exaggerated while raising questions about the methodology that was used with no queries correlating to the monies allegedly lost.
In its final audit report, the Ministry points out that the wrong methodology was used and that no queries correlates to the monies allegedly lost.
“The overview of our reply to the Audit Queries is that there was gross exaggeration of the figures involved; as well as application of inappropriate methodology. There is no figure of Sh5 billion that correlates with the audit queries raised by the Internal Auditor,” a statement from the Ministry had stated.
According to the report, the total amount of resources that are subject of the Interim Audit Report was Sh3 billion which was spent in accordance with the law and for the intended purposes.
“We also note with concern that the Interim Financial Audit Report was not put through the standard internal processes that any interim audit report must go through. The same was made public even before the specific audit queries had been discussed and responses and reconciliations provided,” it stated.
It pointed out that the figure of Sh5 billion is not accurate and indicated that it is misleading.
“As the enclosed Comprehensive Response and Reconciliation shows; the Ministry has provided complete responses and reconciliations of every financial Audit Query raised by the Internal Auditor. We are confident that the findings of the Office of the Auditor General will put this matter to a rest.”