NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 3 – The group of Internally Displaced Persons who have been camping outside Parliament Buildings for more than a month have been removed and abandoned in Nakuru on Tuesday night.
According to one of their representatives Richard Kimungui, they were beaten up and forced to board the buses by youths who were accompanied by police officers.
“We were asleep when the youths came and started attacking us,” he said. “They did not spare the women and the children either …they claimed they had been sent by the Government and that our problems would be solved.”
The IDPs have been camping outside Parliament in a desperate move to seek attention from the government which they accused of ignoring their plight.
They returned to the country from Uganda where they had fled to after the 2007-2008 Post Election Violence.
Those who spoke to Capital News on October 19 said they only accepted to return to the country after the Government promised to not only allocate them some land to start a new beginning, but also Sh400,000.
Upon arrival in the country, the 534 IDPs were given Sh100,000 to start of their lives in a place where they had left seven years ago and the remaining money was to be channelled a few weeks later.
“They lied to us, they lied to us…” 58 years old Ann Wambui Kung’u wailed, hoping “someone will listen to our cry and help us. We don’t want to be spoon-fed, we just want to be empowered.”
Her pain was reflected in the faces of the more than 200 IDPs who have been braving the scorching sun during the day and the cold at nights for three weeks and are determined to stay there until their grievances was addressed despite an imminent health crisis.
Among them, there are 14 children, some who are a few months old.
As established by Capital FM News, most of them have identification documents they were given by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, indicating their personal details and family members.
“The Government of Kenya shall support the returnees in a far as possible to return their former land, housing and property and if not possible offer alternative support,” reads a section the alleged agreement.
They now allege that some of the documents were confiscated.
Over 1,000 people were killed and 600,000 other displaced during the 2007-2008 post election violence.