, SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador, Nov 5 – Former El Salvador president Elias Antonio Saca will be kept in jail pending trial on charges of embezzling millions of dollars while in power, prosecutors said Saturday.
Six other suspects in the case — including three current government officials — have also been ordered by a judge to be held in preventive detention until the trial begins, the chief prosecutor’s office said on its Twitter account.
Together, they are accused of diverting $246 million in public money in a case that includes charges for corruption, money-laundering and criminal association.
The judge also ordered the suspects’ assets and accounts frozen.
Saca, who served as president from 2004-2009, was arrested with the others late last month and denies the allegations.
The 51-year-old, who is also a high-profile radio station owner and a former sports announcer, faces an additional, separate civil case on accusations of illegal self-enrichment, which began early this year.