, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 25 – President Uhuru Kenyatta has cancelled a visit to Angola following the attack in Mandera that left 12 people dead.
President Kenyatta had been scheduled to travel to Luanda on Wednesday for a security summit.
State House Spokesman Manoah Esipisu said the Head of State called off the visit “in solidarity with the families who have lost their loved ones, and those injured, whom he wishes a speedy recovery.”
“President Kenyatta has asked the Deputy President, His Excellency William Ruto, to represent him at the meeting in Luanda,” Esipisu said.
He said President Kenyatta had sent his deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives, “and stands with them in this moment of sorrow.”
“The President condemns in the strongest terms this heinous attack by these depraved individuals. Our security agencies will do everything in their power to bring them to justice.”
He pointed out that every Kenyan of goodwill, Christian and Muslim alike, knows that it is wrong to take innocent life. “Kenyans will not allow themselves to be divided along religious lines, which are what the terrorists want.”
He said there was need to recognise that to win the war against terror, Kenyans must remain united.
“One way in which we can show that unity, and defend our Republic, is by cooperating closely with our security agencies as they work to keep us safe,” President Kenyatta said.
The 12 people lost their lives and 10 more wounded when gunmen set off explosives at 3.30am at the Boshari Hotel in Mandera town.