NAIROBI, Kenya Oct 8 – An inquest set up to determine the cause of death of university student Mercy Keino has ruled that there is no evidence to suggest she was murdered.
The inquest has subsequently cleared Kiambu Governor William Kabogo and five others who had been implicated in the 2011 death.
The trial Magistrate Peter Ndwiga who delivered the ruling on Friday said that there was no evidence linking the governor and the five to Keino’s death. The state called 47 witnesses to testify at the inquest in Nairobi.
The court consequently terminated the inquest, thus leaving the family and friends of Keino helpless.
The Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko had ordered a public inquest to establish the cause of Keino’s death after police failed to link any suspects to the mysterious death of the girl whose body was found on Waiyaki Way in Nairobi.
She had attended a party hosted by the Kiambu Governor at Wasini luxury suites in Westlands. She was last seen leaving the party.
During the hearing, Kabogo told the inquest that he was not involved in death of the Mercy, saying the idea was brought up by political enemies.
In February, Government Chief Pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor told the inquest that Keino sustained fatal injuries before her death but acquired more when she was ran over.
Dr Oduor who conducted the autopsy on the body testified that it was difficult to determine what killed Keino, because of the multiple fractures she had sustained.
He told the inquest that the autopsy could not ascertain whether she was killed elsewhere and her body dumped on the highway or if she was hit by vehicles.