, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 25 – At least 12 people have been confirmed dead in a Mandera attack by Al Shabaab militants early Tuesday morning.
Police officers involved in the rescue operation confirmed the fatalities but referred Capital FM News to higher authorities in the police ranks for an official comment.
Ten people were rescued – including four who sustained serious injuries.
Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet confirmed the incident but remained guarded on the fatalities, while explaining that a statement would be issued at the end of the rescue operation.
The attack occurred when gunmen set off explosives at Boshari Guesthouse in the town at 3:30am.
Early this month, six people were killed in Mandera in an attack blamed on Al Shabaab terrorists.
The attack occurred at a village near Bulla Public Works that had a total of 33 non-locals, police said.
The attack was the first in the region in the last one year, authorities said.
The area had been a target for Al Shabaab terrorists who launch attacks mainly targeting passenger buses, often only killing non locals or non-Muslims.
Similar attacks were launched in the past two years, leaving more than 60 people killed in separate incidents.