NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 1 – Four more dormitories were set on fire Sunday night in the ongoing countrywide wave of unrest in schools across Kenya.
Police and the Kenya Red Cross said injuries were reported in one of the arson attacks.
The incidents occurred at Baringo High School in Baringo County, St Augustine Boarding Primary School in Mombasa and Gachika Secondary School in Kiganjo.
Similar incidents were reported earlier in the day at Ngaru Girl’s High School, Kirinyaga County, and St Mary’s High School in Narok and Lelwak High School in Nandi County.
Already detectives are investigating if the fire at St Augustine Primary School in Tudor Mombasa was related to the wave of unrest in secondary schools countrywide.
Mombasa County commissioner Maalim Mohammed said eight pupils sustained injuries in the inferno which is the only one reported in a primary school so far.
This happened even as the government and various stakeholders continued to look for a solution to the menace that has left property worth millions of shillings destroyed.
On Monday morning, Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i was set to meet members of the civil society to get their views on what should be done to end the school fires.
The meeting is the latest in a series of others with stakeholders held since last week, to try and get a long lasting solution.
So far, the number of schools burnt is gradually moving nearly 130 with no solution on sight, even after President Uhuru Kenyatta made an appeal to students to stop the disorder.
“It is very shameful for students to see that the best way to release their frustrations is by burning structures in their schools. They torch the buildings not knowing that it is their parents who will pay for the damages they cause,” he said.
“Those who think this is the solution to their grievances watajua dawa ya moto ni moto (they will know that fire is met by fire).”