The prosecution had sought to hold them for 10 days but a Chief Magistrate at the Children’s Court Lucy Gitari saw it fit to give them half that.
When delivering her ruling, the magistrate said the charges facing the 13, arson and conspiracy to commit an offence, were serious and therefore needed to be properly investigated.
The incident occurred on Sunday when the dormitories were razed, leaving some of the students with slight injuries—according to police.
She also said the court had taken judicial note of the high number of school fires set in the past few months. Records at police headquarters show that more than 100 schools haven burnt in the past three months, with a similar number of students arraigned in court so far.
The prosecution had sought more time for the police to conclude their investigations into the Sunday night torching of the Raila and Kidero dorms at the Lang’ata Boys High School.
The state told the court that there was a risk the students, who they could not legally hold for more than 48 hours without court sanction, would interfere with the arson probe.
It also emerged that seven out of the 13 students were over the age of majority and should charges be preferred against them, would have their matter handled outside the Children’s division.