NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 1 – At least six people were killed after Al Shabaab attackers opened fire at buses ferrying passengers in Mandera on Friday.
The attack occurred between Wargadud and Elwak where terrorists sprayed the moving buses with bullets.
“Police on the scene have found six persons shot dead and have rescued two,” Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet said. “The hunt for the terrorists is underway.”
He did not immediately confirm if the dead were passengers or police officers who were aboard the buses.
The attack comes hours after the US issued a travel advisory to its citizens, citing areas such as Mandera, Wajir, Garissa and parts of coast province due to imminent attacks.
The travel advisory – which replaces an earlier one sent out in November last year – comes at a time when the IG has announced heightened security including at the major airports in the country following the attack in Istanbul, Turkey where 42 people were killed.
The US wants Americans to be cautious when visiting areas such as Tana River, Lamu, Kilifi, Malindi among others-seen as potential terror targets.
“In Mombasa, the US Embassy recommends US citizens visit Old Town only during daylight hours, and avoid using Likoni ferry due to safety concerns,” the advisory dated June 30 states.
“To be safe, you should review your personal security plans, remain aware of your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events,” the advisory to Americans reads in part.
But in a quick rejoinder, Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho sought to assure the world that Kenya is safe, after America issued a new travel advisory on to citizens.
“There is no cause to worry at all because adequate measures have been put in place to secure the country,” he told Capital FM News on Friday when reached on telephone.