, NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 25 – Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich has dismissed claims by former Devolution CS Anne Waiguru that he was involved in the Sh791 million National Youth Service (NYS) scandal, terming it ‘malicious falsehoods’.
Through his lawyer Donald Kipkorir, Rotich says he has no company or even links to any that made supplies or any other business with the National Youth Service.
- Waiguru, in her affidavit links the National Assembly Leader of Majority Adan Duale, Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Deputy President William Ruto’s Personal Assistant, Farouk Kibet to the scandal.
- Waiguru has accused the three of threatening her and Adan Harakhe in an attempt to cover up, “double billing, payments for non-delivered goods and an outrageous inflation of prices,” at the National Youth Service.
The CS has also denied he knows one of the NYS suspects Ben Gethi, who according to a memo included in the affidavit, was allegedly introduced to Waiguru as his friend by the then acting Senior Director General Adan Harakhe.
In the said memo, Harakhe says Gethi had earlier been introduced to him by then Devolution PS Peter Mang’iti as a friend to Rotich.
“Without giving any credence to the veracity, truthfulness, genuineness and validity of the said memo, our client confirms that he does not know Mr Ben Gethi and he is not his agent in any way or at all,” reads a statement from lawyer Kipkorir.
In the affidavit, Harakhe allegedly told Waiguru that the suspect was a friend of the Treasury CS.
According to Kipkorir, the CS will also file a suit against “any person or party that published, publishes, or re-publishes the malicious falsehoods.”
Waiguru, in her affidavit links National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale, Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Deputy President William Ruto’s Personal Assistant, Farouk Kibet to the scandal.
Waiguru has accused the three of threatening her and Harakhe in an attempt to cover up “double billing, payments for non-delivered goods and an outrageous inflation of prices,” at the National Youth Service.
She claims that her troubles started when she replaced Githinji with Harakhe as the NYS Authority to Incur Expenditure (AIE) holder.
“It was found that similar hefty amounts had been paid into the accounts associated with (Josephine) Kabura, totalling over Sh791 million between December 2014 and April 2015 prior to my request for investigation. The money was withdrawn in cash immediately it got into the account. The payments were paid when Githinji was the AIE holder.”
Waiguru identifies Kabura – who has in turn accused her of being the architect of the Sh791 million scam – as the “front” of the criminal operation which she alleges was orchestrated by Kibet, Murkomen and Duale.
Waiguru swears that when Harakhe replaced Githinji as AIE holder, he flagged Sh828 million worth of IFMIS transactions which he had not entered into the system; which led them to surmise that his password must have been stolen.
It was then, she states, that she directed Harakhe to report the matter to the Directorate of Criminal Investigation “as it was a cyber crime.”
Mangiti and Githinji on the other hand, she states, sought to pressure Harakhe into having the matter resolved “internally.”[cresta-social-share]