NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 16 – The government on Saturday evacuated soldiers of the Kenya Defence Forces injured during Friday’s Al Shabaab attack at an African Union Mission In Somalia AMISOM) base in El Adde.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said the soldiers were airlifted back home for specialised medical treatment following the massive assault that left an unspecified number of KDF men dead.
Speaking in Mombasa Saturday, Nkaissery said the official count of the dead or injured KDF soldiers would be made public soon.
He however said the Al Shabaab militants suffered the highest number of causalities during the siege that last more than 12 hours.
“Very heavy causalities have been inflicted on the enemy (Al Shabaab); they lost more than we did. Let’s not preempt the outcome of the attack. The statement will be released soon,” said Nkaissery.
He added that the Kenya Defence Forces military camp at El Adde will be reinforced to effectively deal with the Al Shabaab militants.
Nkaissery said the AMISOM troops are still combing the area in hot pursue of the militants behind the most vicious attack against KDF since the troops crossed over into Somalia in 2010.
The Kenyan military did not also give the number of those killed in combat, saying efforts to consolidate returns from the battlefield were still ongoing.
Preliminary reports indicated this was the heaviest toll suffered by Kenyan Defence Forces so far since the onslaught in Somalia began.