NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 17 – Four Kenya Defence Forces soldiers wounded during the attack in Somalia early on Friday have arrived in Nairobi.
The four were received at the Wilson Airport by Defence Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo and the Chief of Defence Forces, General Samson Mwathethe.
Three of the soldiers could walk unassisted while the fourth had to be carried on a wheel chair to a waiting ambulance as he had severe injuries from the waist downwards.
Omamo said the number of those killed or injured will be released as soon as the information has been verified.
The Defence CS appealed for patience from the public, saying details of the fallen or injured soldiers were first being sent to their respective families.
“What I am asking for now from all Kenyans is patience and calm. We must remain steady, we must remain united and must remain unbowed in the face of this attack,” she said.
“Please be patient, the information will be availed as soon as we verify it. We are determined to bring our soldiers home.”
General Mwathethe explained that the militants used three vehicles loaded with explosives and several suicide bombers to carry out the attack on the Somalia National Army and KDF camps at El-Adde in Gedo region.
The military chief denied claims that KDF soldiers had been captured during the attack.
He however said a search, rescue and recovery operation was ongoing for soldiers who escaped the attack.
“As we speak, the search, rescue and recovery operation is ongoing as a matter of priority. We have also pursued the enemies and have so effectively and severely degraded them,” he said.
General Mwathethe some of the soldiers were receiving treatment at the Wajir Hospital and it is only those who required specialised treatment that were brought to Nairobi.
The government has in the meantime established support facilities for the families of the fallen soldiers and those who were injured at the KDF barracks in Eldoret, Gilgil and Nairobi.