, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 18 – Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko has denied allegations of shielding Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru in the National Youth Service IFMIS scandal.
Tobiko said in a statement he always relies on evidence presented to him and that allegations of his office being compromised were baseless.
He stated that the fidelity of the ODPP was to the Constitution and stressed the need for political theatrics to be minimized.
“Allegations of compromise and other ulterior considerations by my office in the execution of my high public duty are completely baseless and unwarranted,” the DPP said.
He underscored the need for the matter not to be politicised.
“There is now an emerging trend on the part of the political elite to politicise what is an otherwise legal process. This is very unfortunate and we shall not allow it. Our fidelity is to the Constitution and the law. Politicians should not drag our legal processes into parochial theatrics that only serve to defeat justice,” he said.
CORD leader Raila Odinga had alleged that the prosecution of Devolution Principal Secretary Peter Mangiti and NYS Director General Nelson Githinji was an attempt to cover up for the beneficiaries of corruption at the National Youth Service.
In a statement, Odinga said that the speedy decision to prosecute Mangiti and Githinji was a cover up.
Odinga has in the past sharply criticised the way the government has handled the loss of Sh791 million at NYS and the conspiracy to siphon another Sh695 million.
He has on a number of occasions demanded the suspension of Waiguru, who he claims, is being protected by State House.
Allegations of compromise and other ulterior considerations by my office in the execution of my high public duty are completely baseless and unwarranted – DPP
Earlier this week, President Uhuru Kenyatta told Nandi Hills MP Alfred Keter to stop antagonising Waiguru after he tabled a motion seeking to impeach her.
In the statement, Odinga demanded that an international audit firm be appointed to examine all the tenders that have been awarded by NYS since 2013 and unearth the money trail to trace the beneficiaries of the scandals.
He stated that it is the only way the government can convince Kenyans that it is genuine in its anti-corruption drive in the NYS saga.
On Monday, Tobiko allowed the prosecution of Mangiti and Githinji for attempting to obstruct NYS Deputy Director-General Adan Harakhe from reporting to the CID the conspiracy to steal Sh695.4 million from the institution.
The two are to be charged alongside businessman Benson Gethi Mucemi and others on the recommendations of the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.