, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 17 – The Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) has directed over 3,000 students selected to join the institution to report to their respective campuses from Wednesday next week.
This is after the case blocking their admission was withdrawn and both KMTC and the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Services (KUCCPS) ordered to resolve their differences out of court.
“All students currently with admission letters from KMTC are advised to report to their respective campuses on Wednesday October 21, 2015 at 8am with all requirements as indicated in their admission letters. Those who will not have reported by October 28, 2015 will be deemed to have forfeited their chances,” KMTC Chairperson of the Board of Directors Philip Kaloki stated in a paid up advert in the local dailies.
Kaloki also stated that KMTC will admit students who applied through KUCCPS. “KMTC Academic Board has embarked on a process of admitting students who applied through KUCCPS and the affected students will be notified immediately,” he stated.
KUCCPS had obtained orders last month barring the students from reporting to the 42 KMTC colleges on grounds that the medical college is not mandated to conduct admissions.
According to the institution, it is the one legally mandated to admit students to health training institutions.
Kaloki however pointed out that the conflict has already been resolved and that KMTC will continue to discharge its mandate.
“On the basis of the Act (KMTC Act, Cap 261), KMTC advertised for training vacancies in all its 42 campuses countrywide and undertook selection of students accordingly. A conflict arose after the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service (KUUCCPS) also made a similar advertisement on placement of students to KMTC. This conflict has now been resolved and KMTC mandate proceeds as stipulated by law,” he indicated.
KUCCPS and KMTC agreed before Justice Weldon Korir to terminate the acrimonious litigation after the intervention of the government.
Lawyers Benson Millimo, for KMTC and Tom Ojienda for KUCCPS consented to the withdrawal of the case filed on September 9.
Justice Korir recorded the consent entered by Millimo and Ojienda as the order of the court, thereby bringing to an end the suit that had caused anxiety among the selected students and their parents.
Millimo, who defended KMTC jointly with Paul Lilan, told the judge that the parties had met and agreed to withdraw the matter to enable the government to resolve any pending issues.
The lawyer told the judge that head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua had directed the Ministries of Health and Education to resolve the stalemate with a view to avoiding unnecessary expenditure on litigation.
Last month Kinyua directed Attorney-General Githu Muigai to meet Health Cabinet secretary James Macharia together with his Education counterpart Jacob Kaimenyi to thrash out the differences.
Kinyua stated that the government recognised KMTC as the one mandated to admit students to its 42 training colleges.
Following the meeting, the AG directed the withdrawal of the case and during the tripartite meeting, two teams were formed to peruse the list of students admitted by both KMTC and KUCCPS to vet those who had applied for admission.