, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sept 29 – The Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims (SUPKEM) now wants families of those who were killed and injured following a stampede in Saudi Arabia during Hajj rituals to be compensated.
The Council Chairman Abdulghafur El-Busaidy says the Government of Saudi Arabia should take responsibility for the incidences since they knew the number of people who were to attend.
Addressing journalists on Tuesday, the Chairman confirmed that six Kenyans among the 6,000 Muslim pilgrims from the country who went for the rituals are dead while nine are missing.
“We want the Government of Saudi Arabia to compensate those who died and those who have been hurt,” he stated.
The council said it’s going to release a report in two weeks over the incidence that saw about 700 Muslim pilgrims from across world dead.
“We will let the world know what happened and what would not have happened,” he said while passing his condolences. “It will be our role to tell those controlling Hajji of what went wrong.”
The stampede was the second deadly accident to hit the pilgrims following a crane collapse in Mecca. The stampede broke out during the symbolic stoning of the devil ritual according to the Saudi civil defense service said.
Bodies of pilgrims wearing traditional white clothing were left scattered by the crush, surrounded by discarded shoes, flattened water bottles and umbrellas that had been used for protection from the sun.
Nearly two million people from across the globe were attending the Hajj, one of the largest annual gatherings in the world.
The ritual emulates Prophet Abraham, who is said to have stoned the devil at three locations when he tried to dissuade Abraham from God’s order to sacrifice his son Ishmael.
At the last moment, God spared the boy, sending a sheep to be sacrificed in his place.