Dozens killed as Somali Shabaab ambush troops: government

August 27, 2015 8:00 am
Shares

,

Government officials put the toll at 32 Shabaab and 11 government soldiers killed, while the Shabaab said the only casualties were 19 government troops/AFP
Government officials put the toll at 32 Shabaab and 11 government soldiers killed, while the Shabaab said the only casualties were 19 government troops/AFP
MOGADISHU, Somalia, Aug 27 – Dozens have been killed in Somalia after Shabaab gunmen ambushed an army convoy, officials and local elders said Thursday, the latest battles with the Al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.

Shabaab fighters launched attacks on the army convoy near the village of Tulo-Barwao in the southwestern Gedo district of Somalia on Wednesday, a region bordering Ethiopia and Kenya, sparking intense gun battles.

Government officials put the toll at 32 Shabaab and 11 government soldiers killed, while the Shabaab said the only casualties were 19 government troops. Local elder Abdulahi Halane said around 30 people were killed in total.

It was not possible to independently verify the toll.

“The fighting was very heavy and 32 enemy Shabaab fighters, including senior commanders, were killed,” said Nur Mohamud Burale, a local government official. “We lost 11 soldiers, and 16 others were wounded.”

Shabaab militants claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Mujahedeen fighters carried out a successful ambush against a military convoy transporting senior apostate officials, killing 19,” the Shabaab said.

The Shabaab is fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu, and still controls large parts of the rural south. The fighters launch regular attacks even in the heart of government areas in the capital.

Government and African Union troops last month launched a fresh offensive targeting Shabaab strongholds in southern Somalia.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed