NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 22 – Hundreds of youths supporting National Youth Service (NYS) projects in slums Monday morning held demonstrations within the centre of Nairobi in support of Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru who has been implicated in the alleged Sh826 million scandal.
The youths marched from Kibera, Kawangware and Mathare slums to drum up support for Waiguru.
“We are requesting the work to go on until 2017. We support Waiguru and we fully stand behind her. What we read in the paper was not good. It was about us not getting our money. It was about our project which is doing very well contrary to what was said. We support Waiguru in all her endeavours,” said Sarah Awino from Kibera.
The protestors marched on Kenyatta Avenue, Kimathi Street through to Parliament before heading to the Deputy President’s office on Harambee Avenue where they demanded to be addressed.
“As the youth, we say that we want extra days to be part of these projects until 2030 if possible. The true picture is this. These people are being paid every day. The toilets are being made and the road together with the lighting system is also on course,” Cedric Musyoka from Kwangware stated.
“These jobs have removed us from gossiping, stealing, prostitution and even other vices. In my opinion, Waiguru should be left alone because the projects she is overseeing benefit us all here in the slums,” stated Benson Mwangi also from Kibera.
“Things are good here. As young people, we do not want politics, and we are working well. In all these projects, we are being paid adequately and there is nothing for us to complain about. We want this work to go on until 2030.”
Most of those in the demonstration said they were involved in the clean-up project in Kibera and are accusing a local newspaper of painting a dark picture of the government project.
There has been mounting pressure to have Waiguru investigated over the alleged NYS scandal which she has denied a role in.
The Devolution Cabinet Secretary has defended herself against allegations of corruption in the ministry, instead saying she is the one who raised a red flag on an attempted fraud.
The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) is reported to have questioned payments worth millions of shillings since November last year.
Some of the payments are said to have been authorized by the new Senior Deputy Director-General, Gedow Harakhe who later said that his password for the Integrated Financial Management Information Systems (IFMIS) system was stolen.
According to the CS, she herself invited CID officers to investigate the matter once the fraud was detected.
She had further indicated that from the transactions, no amount had been paid.