State House defends Waiguru over NYS scam

June 25, 2015 2:15 pm
Shares

,

State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says the current woes facing the minister are politically motivated since no money was lost/FILE
State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says the current woes facing the minister are politically motivated since no money was lost/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 25 – State House has come to the defence of Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru over the National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.

State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu says the current woes facing the minister are politically motivated since no money was lost.

Esipisu says according to the probe carried out by the Directorate of Criminal Investigation on the Sh800 million scandal, illegal payments had been authorised to six companies after the NYS Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) was hacked using stolen identity, but the hackers were caught on time and the payments stopped.

Among the companies listed for the fraudulent payments include: Form and Homes Builders, Draco Capital, Roof and All Trading, Reinforced Concrete Technologies, Grumum Engineering and Tegmen Trading.

“A progress report from the CID indicates that six computers have been seized from employees of NYS for forensic analysis by Department of Criminal Investigations and Cyber Crime Unit to establish the person who did the fraudulent entries. Sixteen statements have been recorded to date from staff at NYS and the Ministry of Devolution and Planning,” he added.

He also clarified that the Central Bank of Kenya is not carrying out any investigations on NYS.

“CBK wrote to the Ministry of Devolution and Planning, asking for a clarification regarding an RTGS Transaction to Ms. Bora Global Ltd. This clarification had been requested by Development Bank, as the bankers for Bora Global Ltd.”

“Such requests, emanating from commercial banks to the Central Bank are standard practice and the matter was clarified. Narratives around CBK investigations at NYS must therefore be treated as political speculation.”

He urged politicians to stop using violence as a way of winning argument and assured the people of Kibera that the government will re build what was destroyed after youths set ablaze projects initiated by Anne Waiguru.

“I would want to assure the people of Kibera that we will re-build whatever was destroyed and shame the devil, this government is committed to transformation of young people from the sorry state of earners of wages to owners of capital; from cannon fodder of bad politics to agents of transformative change,” he said.

The government was on Tuesday counting losses in Kibera where youths torched clinics, toilets put up by the National Youth Service, and vandalised water tanks and pipes, in what is linked to woes facing the Devolution CS.

READ: Shame as Kibera residents burn Waiguru projects

Police had a hard time controlling the situation after the youths blocked major roads leading to the slums, while chanting anti-government slogans.

The ugly scenes followed Monday’s street demonstrations by a group that appeared to support the CS while castigating CORD leader Raila Odinga who has been criticising Waiguru.

READ: Fury after Kibera youths destroy projects built for their benefit

The CORD leader and a section of the civil society has been demanding a proper investigation on an alleged scandal involving some Sh800 million and all the resources spent in the NYS projects, after the CS announced that she is the one who called for a probe.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed