EACC has more time to investigate graft – Uhuru

June 11, 2015 4:34 pm
Shares

,

President Kenyatta assured the country that the war on corruption will be on until the menace is over/FILE
President Kenyatta assured the country that the war on corruption will be on until the menace is over/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 11- President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday allowed the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission more time to carry out investigations beyond the 60 day period he had set out.

The extension was announced after a meeting at State House with the Chief Executive Officer Halakhe Waqo, who had argued that the two months given were not sufficient.

“While acknowledging the Commission’s request for the extension of time, the President maintained his desire to see the process hastened and concluded expeditiously,” State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu said in a statement.

“The President was encouraged by the level of public cooperation given to the commission so far. It was in his view a welcome development that bore testimony to the fact that the relentless war on corruption cannot be won without it being a national collaborative effort,” he stated.

President Kenyatta assured the country that the war on corruption will be on until the menace is over.

“The President further reiterates that there will be no resource spared in the fight against corruption, and calls on all other institutions of government – the county level, the Judiciary and Parliament – to do all in their powers to support the fight.”

During Thursday’s budget presentation, Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich allocated the EACC Sh2.6 billion and Sh2.2 billion to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions as a show of the government’s commitment to anti-corruption fight.

Suspended Cabinet Secretary for transport Michael Kamau has since been taken to court over corruption allegations levelled against him.

Kamau stands accused of wilfully failing to comply with applicable procedures and guidelines relating to the management of public funds, engaging in a project without prior planning, wilful failure to comply with the law relating to procurement and abuse of office.

The EACC has also recommended the prosecution of suspended Lands Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu over the Sh8bn Karen land saga.

In its recommendation to the Director of Public Prosecutions, the EACC said Ngilu and eight other Ministry of Lands officials should be charged with various criminal offences for allegedly benefiting from the double allocation of the 134-acre land parcel in Karen

The land is currently at the centre of a court case pitting businessman Horatius Da Gama Rose against former NSSF Managing Trustee Jos Konzolo; both of whom claim to be in possession of the land’s ownership documents.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed