Plan to remove roundabouts still on – Kidero

April 20, 2015 12:15 pm
Shares

,

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero explained that the roundabouts will be replaced with signalised junctions to ensure that vehicles flow within the city with minimal snarl ups/CFM
Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero explained that the roundabouts will be replaced with signalised junctions to ensure that vehicles flow within the city with minimal snarl ups/CFM
NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 20 – The Nairobi County Government on Monday said it still plans to remove roundabouts on the county’s major highway.

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero explained that the roundabouts will be replaced with signalised junctions to ensure that vehicles flow within the city with minimal snarl ups.

“The roundabouts will go. The engineering drawings and designs were completed last week… they will be presented tomorrow. Thereafter, the construction and implementation of those designs will be done in the next three months,” he explained.

He said removal of roundabouts is a key plan intended to decongest the city.

He said despite the outcry about re-configuring of the roundabouts, the changes had worked for some areas.

He said Thika Road users had benefited most and even witnessed a reduction in fares.

“Roundabouts are going, they will not stay. You see across – it is – one of the examples where Kidero drums have worked,” he said as he pointed to a section of Tom Mboya that has been sealed off.

Kidero explained that easing traffic in Nairobi will also be a good avenue of reducing transport charges.

The Bunyala and Lusaka roundabouts which had been closed remain open as the county monitors traffic flow after diverting heavy traffic onto the Southern by-pass.

READ: Lusaka, Bunyala roundabouts temporarily re-opened

Other measures the county government is taking to decongest the city is the relocation of up country buses from the city.

Kidero said the buses will soon be relocated from the city where they currently operate from.

As a way forward, Kidero said he will hold discussions with up-country transport operators to come up with the procedure of relocating their vehicles out of the city.

The discussions will also explore alternative parking areas.

Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko is however in court to challenge the decision to remove the roundabouts.

Sonko was last week directed to serve the application on the Nairobi County Government, Transport Ministry and the National Transport and Safety Authority.

READ: Sonko case on roundabouts set for May 6

The respondents were also asked to reply to the application within seven days before the case is heard on May 6.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed