, NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 16 – The Government of Kenya on Thursday said it was making plans to evacuate Kenyans living in South Africa following xenophobic attacks.
Foreign Affairs Minister Amina Mohamed in an interview with Nation FM said so far there were no Kenyan casualties in the attacks that have caused uproar.
According to her, Kenyans living in affected areas had voluntarily moved to makeshift camps provided for victims.
“We don’t have any direct casualties. We have planned for an evacuation but some of the Kenyans have actually voluntarily moved to a camp but not in large numbers, but that could increase,” she explained.
She said most of those who had moved are business people who own retail shops.
Mohamed said Kenya was however deeply concerned about the attacks that have left scores of non-South Africans dead.
“This is not the first time it has happened. This is the second time. We have always managed to provide protection,” she said as she pledged that the government will take necessary measures to ensure Kenyans in South Africa are safe.
In 2008, Kenyans living in South Africa were asked to report to the Kenyan embassy after xenophobic broke out on foreigners living in the country.