, VOI, Kenya, Mar 9 – The government plans to release the body of International Criminal Court witness Meshack Yebei to his family for burial after a post-mortem examination.
The lead investigator into the death, John Kariuki, says they have confirmed that the body found in the vast Tsavo National Park belongs to Yebei but a post-mortem is yet to be done.
“We are still conducting a post-mortem to establish what caused the death of Yebei to assist in the investigation. We will thereafter release the body to the family for burial,” he said.
The family had given the government a three-day ultimatum to release the body to them for burial.
“We are consulting with relatives to release the body as soon as possible. The autopsy report will assist in establishing the cause of death and the autopsy will play vital role in the investigation,” said Kariuki.
He explained that they will carry out proper investigation to apprehend those behind his death assuring the family of full cooperation.
He denied that police have been playing a cover-up into Yebei’s death, who was considered a critical witness at the ICC in the case against Deputy President William Ruto.
The body which eventually turned out to be Yebei was found at Man Eaters in the Tsavo National Park on December 30 and lay unclaimed until this year.
Yebei was abducted on December 27 last year from Turbo market, in Eldoret.
A previous body thought to be his which was found in River Yala, turned out to be that of Yusuf Hussein.