Mandera County Commissioner going nowhere – Nkaissery

March 18, 2015 1:41 pm
Shares

,

The Interior Cabinet Secretary further denied claims by Roba that the area County Commissioner is clueless about the security situation in the county, saying his performance is beyond reproach/FILE
The Interior Cabinet Secretary further denied claims by Roba that the area County Commissioner is clueless about the security situation in the county, saying his performance is beyond reproach/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 18 – Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery now says the government is in control of the security situation in Northeastern Kenya despite a number of security challenges in the area.

In response to Mandera Governor Ali Roba’s criticism of response to insecurity in the county, he said the governor he is prone to terror attacks just like any other resident of the county.

The Interior Cabinet Secretary further denied claims by Roba that the area County Commissioner is clueless about the security situation in the county, saying his performance is beyond reproach.

“The county is bordering Somalia and so he has every reason to say his life is in danger but it’s not only his life that is in danger…it’s the life of all Kenyans,” he stated.

“Because he is just a Governor it does not mean that his life is more special more than any other Kenyan. The lives of Kenyans are in danger of terrorism which the government is trying to mitigate.”

Addressing journalists in the sidelines of the Regional Centre of Small Arms forum on Wednesday, he said the government has already outlined a plan to eliminate the few cases of insecurity that continue to crop up in the region and the entire country.

“The County Commissioner’s performance is above reproach… the politics being played by Mandera leaders will not be acceptable as far as I am concerned,” he stated.

On Monday, Roba said this was the sixth attempt on his life, and he questioned the national government’s seriousness to safeguard his life.

“I am the head of the county government, my life is under threat and it has always been,” he said.

“There is clear need for structures to be put in place for us to synergise our efforts to be able to use all available resources within our environment to make sure we get the results we need,” he said while addressing his first news conference after Friday’s attack.

“It’s a system failure rather than an individual failure we can no longer stand before the public and assure them that the security is being beefed up.”

READ: Mandera Governor, MPs demand County Commissioner be replaced

Last week, four people were killed when Roba’s convoy was attacked in the area while six others were left injured.

Still on Tuesday night, four people were killed and their bodies set ablaze during a gun attack in Wajir town, the latest in a series of attacks in the Northern part of the country.

The attack occurred at about 8 pm at a mobile phone outlet which was also set ablaze, according to police.

Police say the four were shot dead before the shop was locked up and set ablaze, burning their bodies beyond recognition in one of the most heinous acts in the country lately.

“It is barbaric to say the least,” a senior police officer unauthorized to brief the press said, “why would people kill and burn bodies is one of the issues that remains a puzzle.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed