You’re not special, Nkaissery tells Mandera teachers

February 5, 2015 3:58 pm
Shares

,

The minister insisted that the over 1,000 teachers who are yet to resume duty in their respective work stations should do so without issuing conditions/FILE
The minister insisted that the over 1,000 teachers who are yet to resume duty in their respective work stations should do so without issuing conditions/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 5 – Interior Cabinet secretary Joseph Nkaissery now says Mandera teachers will not be treated special on matters concerning security.

He says already the government has set in place elaborate measures to deal with security threats posed by Somalia-based militants, Al-Shabaab.

The minister insisted that the over 1,000 teachers who are yet to resume duty in their respective work stations should do so without issuing conditions.

“There is nothing special about the teachers… Kenyans are travelling to and from Mandera,” he stated. “The teachers should not bring those difficult conditions.”

He has also defended the decision to punish a number of Mandera workers who ignored an order to vacate a quarry where 36 other miners were killed last year.

“They went there without alerting the police…if the attackers came, the matter could have brought a lot of tension in the country,” he stated.

Mandera security agencies have issued orders barring miners from spending nights at quarries after the killings late last year.

When the 36 miners were killed, Deputy President William Ruto defended the government stating that the victims had been asked to vacate the quarries.

The punishment meted on the quarry workers was issued as hundreds of teachers held a demonstration to Parliament to demand its intervention after the government declined to transfer them from Mandera over insecurity concerns.

READ: Teachers from Mandera stage protest to Parliament

On February 4, the Teachers Service Commission said teachers who failed to report to schools in Northeastern Kenya by the February 2 deadline can still do so.

TSC Chief Executive Officer Gabriel Lengoiboni indicated any disciplinary action by the commission can only be initiated once action has been taken by the affected schools.

“Any teacher who may still wish to report after the expiry of the February 2, 2015 deadline should contact the respective head of institution who will in turn seek the advice of the county or sub-county directors,” he said.

He said the commission would not issue any interdiction or transfer letters from the TSC headquarters.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed