NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 13 – The Court has now allowed police to continue detaining a suspect arrested over the murder of Kabete MP George Muchai for two more weeks to enable detectives finalize investigations.
Simon Wambugu was arraigned at the Milimani Law Courts Friday but no charges were read to him because police have not concluded the investigation.
He appeared before Principal Magistrate Benson Nzakyo who has directed that he be remanded at the Central Police station in Nairobi.
The Kabete legislator the late Muchai was shot dead with his two bodyguards and driver during an ambush on Kenyatta Avenue last Saturday.
He will be buried on Friday at his Kamulu home in the outskirts of the capital Nairobi after a day after a memorial service was held in Kabete.
On Thursday, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said police are in hot pursuit of other people involved in the killings.
“So far, investigators have covered significant ground and made good progress. In this regard, one suspect will be appearing in court tomorrow to face charges related to the murder of Muchai and three others,” he stated.
“Let me also point out that as result of good leads so far obtained from suspects and eyewitnesses interviewed by the police, Investigators are in hot pursuit of other suspects.”
While addressing journalists, he also revealed that already police have established that the suspects had carjacked a driver at Kangemi shopping centre on Friday night at about 10pm.
An hour later, the CS said the same group car-jacked another vehicle, Toyota Spacio with two ladies in Wangige area which was used at the time of the murder.