Suspect in Muchai murder due in court Friday

February 12, 2015 4:49 pm
Shares

,

Nkaissery said police were in hot pursuit of other people involved in the killings that occurred early Saturday morning, along Kenyatta Avenue/CFM
Nkaissery said police were in hot pursuit of other people involved in the killings that occurred early Saturday morning, along Kenyatta Avenue/CFM
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 12 – Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said a suspect was to be arraigned in court on Friday to face charges related to the murder of Kabete legislator George Muchai and his three aides.

Nkaissery said police were in hot pursuit of other people involved in the killings that occurred early Saturday morning, along Kenyatta Avenue.

“So far, investigators have covered significant ground and made good progress. In this regard, one suspect will be appearing in court tomorrow (Friday) to face charges related to the murder of Muchai and three others,” he stated.

“Let me also point out that as result of good leads so far obtained from suspects and eyewitnesses interviewed by the police, investigators are in hot pursuit of other suspects.”

The Cabinet Secretary also revealed that sleuths had established that the suspects had carjacked a driver at Kangemi shopping centre on Friday night at about 10pm. An hour later, the same gang car-jacked another vehicle, Toyota Spacio with two women in Wangige area. They used the latter car during the 3am murder in Nairobi’s Central Business District.

“I urge you to all be patient and allow us to complete investigations bearing in mind that there are details we cannot divulge to the public at this point in time because doing so might jeopardize on-going investigations,” he appealed.

On Monday, the National Assembly Committee on Administration and National Security gave Nkaissery 72 hours to arrest killers of the Kabete legislator or face an unspecified action.

While expressing shock over the murder of the legislator, his driver and two bodyguards, the MPs led by committee Chairman Asman Kamama warned that if no information was made available, they would use the powers they wielded to initiate action on the security officers.

“The government, the Cabinet Secretary together with his team should work round the clock to ensure that within 72 hours we have these criminals in custody – we want to know what happened and why the slow reaction otherwise we have our own powers and we will not hesitate to use it,” Kamama had said.

“We are really saddened and we express our condolences to the families of the victims – we are calling upon our security agents, right from the CID, we need answers to these killings – because if the perpetrators are not brought to book, all of us will be exposed, ” pleaded Kamama.

This come even as political leaders led by President Uhuru Kenyatta continues to call for speedy investigations in a bid to unearth those behind the killings.

President Kenyatta who was speaking at the memorial service of the late MP on Thursday assured that the suspects will be arrested and dealt with as per the law.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed