Kambi seeks Sh360mn fraud probe at NITA

February 3, 2015 2:48 pm
Shares

,

Kambi said the loss came to light following a special report prepared by the Auditor-General which was published in March last year/FILE
Kambi said the loss came to light following a special report prepared by the Auditor-General which was published in March last year/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 3 – Labour Cabinet Secretary Kazungu Kambi has requested the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and the Criminal Investigation Department to probe the National Industrial Training Authority Board over the misappropriation of Sh364 million.

Kambi said the loss came to light following a special report prepared by the Auditor-General which was published in March last year.

The report indicated that NITA lost the money in a period of one year through unregulated cash withdrawals, whose payment voucher transactions could not be traced by the Audit Team for evaluation.

For example between November 25, 2013 and March 20, 2014 a total of Sh285 million was lost through unregulated inter-account cash transfers.

“Once the probe is finalised, the government will make public the findings of the commission and abide by recommendations made thereon. In the meantime and considering that this is a criminal matter, the board stands dissolved,” Kambi told a news conference held at the ministry’s headquarters

The CS announced dissolution of the board for the second time after the court reinstated members in October on the basis that he overstepped his mandate.

Kambi defended himself against claims that he was defying the court ruling saying; “the matter of criminality was not addressed by the court that is why I am telling Kenyans that I have dissolved the board… I want them to pay back Sh364 million or if the judge is going to give Sh364 million, I will allow them to go back to the office.”

He added he is ready for any repercussions to make sure those concerned are punished for looting from the public coffers.

“I am ready to suffer any consequences in order to bring into account those found culpable of embezzlement of funds are punished. We are not going to play politics with public money,” he stressed.

The Labour CS has now put corrupt officers under his ministry on notice saying they will not be allowed to use courts to frustrate the anti-graft war.

“I do not think that this three hundred million has benefited any of you but only a few individuals. That is why they have a lot of money to go to court and pit the different arms of government against each other, but not for long,” Kambi declared.

“This ministry was always been known for corruption, but I can say I have minimised it and this is the last institution. I started with National Social Security Fund (NSSF), I went to the Fund for the disabled and Child Welfare Society; we have systems which are working.”

Industrial Court judge Maureen Onyango had granted temporary orders stopping the dissolution of the board following an application by the Central Organisation of Trade Unions officials and NITA directors, Rajab Mwondi and Ernest Nadome.

Kambi however issued a notice in the Kenya Gazette on Friday revoking the appointment of eight directors, including the authority’s chair Prof Thomas Akunja.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed