, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 30 – A suspect accused of masterminding the Mandera terror attacks has been flown to Nairobi after his arrest in Northern Kenya.
He is accused of planning the November terror attacks which left more than 50 people dead.
It is reported that officers from the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit and the Criminal investigation Department had been tracking the suspect since the attack occurred and were keen to arrest him before he crossed the border to Somalia.
Police believe the suspect is the Kenyan link to the foreign militants who staged the deadly assault on a bus headed to Nairobi, and the attack at a quarry where workers were shot dead.
At the same time, police have heightened their efforts to combat terror in the wake of attacks that rocked the country late last year.
Speaking on behalf of the Acting Inspector General of Police, AP Spokesman Masoud Mwinyi urged Kenyans to be vigilant as terrorists trends were continually changing.
“Our efforts to combat crime and particularly terrorism will continue. As law enforcement officers, we will endeavour at all times to ensure that the safety of our citizens remains our number one priority,” said Mwinyi.
He urged Kenyans to cultivate a healthy relationship with the police and report suspicious characters so that action is taken.
“I am reminding our citizenry that in our small and different ways, we can make contributions in making our country safer. Citizens should report anything out of the ordinary for indecision can have far-reaching negative ramifications,” cautioned Mwinyi.
He however steered clear of the Narok demonstrations where two people lost their lives saying the matter is in court.
He however urged demonstrators to follow the law even when exercising their constitutional right to picket, warning that a contravention of the law would attract punishment.
He said they were investigating the use of live bullets by the police in the Narok chaos as the law clearly outlines the instances when one could use a firearm.
“The use of firearms is controlled and regulated both in Standing Orders and in the Firearms Act. There are instances where an officer is allowed to use his/her firearm; that is when life or property is in imminent danger, rescuing colleagues or another person. You are not allowed to use when you do not have proper justification,” said Mwinyi
He further urged Narok residents to allow the courts to do their work in the hope of resolving the issues in the County Government.
The court was Thursday forced to release the Senator Stephen ole Ntutu and MPs Moitalel ole Kenta (Narok North), Korei Lemein (Narok South), Patrick Ntutu (Narok West) and Johanna Ngeno (Emmurua Dikkirr) on bail after their arrest sparked riots.
The four had been arrested at the Criminal Investigation Department Wednesday evening where they had gone to record statements in relation to a demonstration they had organised against their governor accusing him of misappropriating county funds.
They were charged for incitement to violence. The matter will be heard on February 13.