Nkaissery bans rallies as pressure builds on Narok governor

January 25, 2015 10:40 am
Shares
Gov. Tunai addressing a media conference last year where he spoke against demonstrations. Photo/FILE
Gov. Tunai addressing a media conference last year where he spoke against demonstrations. Photo/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 25- Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery on Sunday suspended all rallies and demonstrations in Narok County with immediate effect, saying there was a risk of such mass action leading to violence.

In a statement to Newsrooms, Nkaissery appealed to the area leaders to use dialogue instead of engaging in tactics that could escalate to violence.

“The Government also wishes to point out that when allegations of corruption in Narok County emerged, officers from the office of the Auditor-General as well as the office of Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) were swiftly dispatched to the County to investigate,” he said.

“Leaders from the area are advised to resolve their issues through dialogue instead of employing tactics that could escalate into violence.”

Some residents and civil society organizations have lodged complaints of corruption at the county government. They have organized a number of street demonstrations against Governor Samuel Tunai.

Nkaissery said that the corruption claims were already being investigated by anti-graft body saying the residents should wait for the outcome.

“The Government has been following closely developments in Narok County and is deeply concerned over escalating levels of tension, which could result into violent confrontations if not contained,” he said.

“In this regard, all leaders in the County should exercise patience awaiting the completion of investigations of alleged corruption.”

The Narok Governor has alleged that the leadership wrangles rocking the county were being fomented by his rivals who were opposed to his efforts to seal corruption loopholes.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed