Huruma building collapse death toll rises to 4

January 5, 2015 10:25 pm
Shares

,

As at 2am on Monday morning, a total of 36 people had been pulled out of the collapsed building with 24 dispatched to the Kenyatta National Hospital/OLIVE BURROWS
As at 2am on Monday morning, a total of 36 people had been pulled out of the collapsed building with 24 dispatched to the Kenyatta National Hospital/OLIVE BURROWS
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 5 – The death toll from the seven-storey building that collapsed in Huruma estate in Nairobi on Sunday night has now reached four.

National Disaster Management Unit Deputy Director Pius Mwachi says two more bodies were pulled out of the rubble on Monday evening, with more people still feared trapped as rescue operations continued.

Mwachi says eight people are still reported missing.

“We are hopeful that we will rescue more people by the end of the operation. The rescue will take a longer time since it’s a complicated process and we have to treat it with care,” he added.

Mwachi has urged members of the public to donate food stuffs and clothing to help the victims and their families during this trying time.

“We will go on with the operation throughout Monday night, we are at the fourth floor, having completed evacuation of the top three storeys, “ he said.

The Kenyatta National Hospital recorded a total of 28 casualties: 12 male and 16 female with 25 patients treated and discharged.

Two of the patients are admitted having sustained multiple limb and soft tissue injuries.

The hospital is on alert in case more victims from the building collapse are brought in for specialised care.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed